- baby: *peers over shoulder*
- baby: *staaaaare*
- me: *wiggles eyebrows*
- baby: *stares with even more intent*
- baby: "...MNBAH!"
- baby: *grabbyfist*
- holder-of-baby, idly: 'ssh-ush now.'
- baby: *grabbyfist*
- me: *leans slightly toward baby*
- baby: *snags unerringly one chunk of the purple in my hair*
- baby, triumphantly: "MNBAAAAH!"
- baby: *does the baby-bouncy-flail-thing*
- holder-of-baby: *turns slightly, sees what baby is holding*
- holder-of-baby: "oh! oh, lord, i'm so sorry, i- kevin, sweets, that's not-"
- me: "ah, it's fine, we were having a lovely eyebrow stare-off until the purple got noticed, and i figured that imperious demand of 'mnbah' translated to 'bring that purple thing here, minion' so it's really my fault for leaning too close.'
- holder-of-baby: *blinks*
- holder-of-baby: "...okay."
- holder-of-baby: *spots the six-pack of shipyard pumpkin in my cart*
- holder-of-baby: "oh my god shipyard's out already?! thank /fuck/ for no more breastfeeding."
- holder-of-baby: "uh."
- (awkward silence where i'm trying not to laugh at her sudden panic about a)swearing in public around baby and b)talking about drinking, during which baby loses grip on my hair and protests with more bounce-flail-squirm)
- me: "the peds nurses i work with often extol the virtues of 'pump & dump' mommy's night out."
- holder-of-baby: "oh thank god you're normal. no you have no idea how many times i get stopped in this store. 'oh is that cotton? the bleaching can cause blabla and aren't you teaching her sign language yet did you know about the whatever and you shouldn't dress your baby in blue or pink because you don't want to force gender norms on them at such a formative age (something similar for a full breath)' oh i'm so sorry, i rant, a lot, and i-'
- voice from behind me: "babe are you using the munchkin to flirt with strangers again?"
- holder-of-baby: "no, the munchkin is assaulting poor bystanders and since daddy walked off with my coffee the lack of caffeine is making me rant at the poor captive bystander..."
- daddy: "babe, for you, ranting is flirting."
- daddy: *trades coffee for baby*
- baby: *grabs for my hair again in the hand-off*
- baby: "MNBAH. MNBAAAAAH.*
- me: "sorry kiddo, my checkout line is ready. you'll have to find 'mnbah' somewhere else."
Bisexual women and lesbians used to give violets to the woman they were wooing, symbolizing their “Sapphic” desire. In a poem, Sappho described herself and a lover wearing garlands of violets. The giving of violets was popular from the 1910s to the 1950s.
Unfuck tomorrow morning
- Wash the dishes in your sink
- Get your outfit for tomorrow together, including accessories
- Set up coffee/tea/breakfast
- Make your lunch
- Put your keys somewhere obvious
- Wash your face and brush your teeth
- Charge your electronics
- Pour a little cleaner in the toilet bowl (if you don’t have pets or children or sleepwalking adults)
- Set your alarm
- Go to bed at a reasonable hour
Here is a Science fair project presented by a girl in a secondary school in Sussex . In it she took filtered water and divided it into two parts. The first part she heated to boiling in a pan on the stove, and the second part she heated to boiling in a microwave. Then after cooling she used the water to water two identical plants to see if there would be any difference in the growth between the normal boiled water and the water boiled in a microwave. She was thinking that the structure or energy of the water may be compromised by microwave. As it turned out, even she was amazed at the difference, after the experiment which was repeated by her class mates a number of times and had the same result.
It has been known for some years that the problem with microwaved anything is not the radiation people used to worry about, it’s how it corrupts the DNA in the food so the body can not recognize it.
Microwaves don’t work different ways on different substances. Whatever you put into the microwave suffers the same destructive process. Microwaves agitate the molecules to move faster and faster. This movement causes friction which denatures the original make-up of the substance. It results in destroyed vitamins, minerals, proteins and generates the new stuff called radiolytic compounds, things that are not found in nature.
So the body wraps it in fat cells to protect itself from the dead food or it eliminates it fast. Think of all the Mothers heating up milk in these ‘Safe’ appliances. What about the nurse in Canada that warmed up blood for a transfusion patient and accidentally killed him when the blood went in dead. But the makers say it’s safe. But proof is in the pictures of living plants dying!
NO, YOU PIG-IGNORANT ASSWIPES.
SOME KID’S CLASS PROJECT IS NOT REAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH. YOU’VE HEARD OF “DOUBLE BLIND”, RIGHT? CALL ME WHEN IT’S PUBLISHED IN NATURE.
the structure or energy of the water
what the fuck does that even mean you realize that a water molecule is made up of three fucking atoms and if you rearrange it it isn’t water anymore and you would fucking notice
the problem with microwaved anything is not the radiation people used to worry about
Here is a handy diagram I drew of all the different types of radiation:
Microwaves != nuclear reactors, so calm your tits.
it’s how it corrupts the DNA in the food so the body can not recognize it
…do you understand what DNA is and how eating works? DNA is a jumble of protein in the middle of each cell and it tells the cells in that particular organism how to make more cells. Your body does not care about whether your food has any DNA in it or not. The chemicals it cares about are things like vitamins and sugars, as well as inorganic shit like salt.
(You can denature DNA by heating it or using chemicals like urea. It is like what happens when you fry an egg, which is basically a big glob of protein—the strands break apart and it looks like tiny white strings. Very cool.)
Microwaves agitate the molecules to move faster and faster.
I…just…that is the fucking definition of heat, whether you’re heating something over a flame or in a microwave or using the Sun. The difference is that microwaves mostly affect the water molecules in your food and they don’t need to use as much heat. Water boils at 100°C, which is just about as hot as water can get before it just turns into steam; but that’s like the lowest setting on your oven. Oven- or stove-cooked food tastes different partly because it uses higher temperatures and partly because heat is transferred in a different way.
This movement causes friction
That’s not what friction is.
It results in destroyed vitamins, minerals, proteins and generates the new stuff called radiolytic compounds, things that are not found in nature.
Let’s take these one at a time.
- Vitamins are classified as water-soluble or fat-soluble. So cooking things in water will dissolve the water-soluble vitamins (C and all the B’s). Just plain heat doesn’t do that, so microwaving veggies—which keeps the water in—is actually a healthier option.
- Proteins: Breaking the chemical bonds in proteins (denaturing) is a part of any cooking. However, denatured protein is still nutritious—that’s why you can meet your protein intake with foods like fried eggs and baked chicken.
- Minerals are just chemical elements, like off the periodic table—sodium, iron, potassium. (Vitamins and proteins are very complex combinations of elements.)
Which brings me to the “radiolytic compound” bullshit. When you talk about breaking apart, say, iron—you’re talking about breaking down the iron atoms themselves. Which is a whole lot different than breaking the bonds between atoms. It takes hella radiation. You need shit like gamma rays—the OOOH SCARY NUCULAR radiation—which we’ve already established do not come from your microwave.
things that are not found in nature
What the shit does that even mean? You all know radioactive elements occur in nature, right? In rocks and also in living cells. That’s right, you have this radioactive kind of carbon INSIDE YOU. You get it by eating those delicious plants. We can tell how long ago something died by how much of it is left.
Tons of shit that occurs naturally is horribly bad for you. And tons of shit that never existed until we cooked it up is great for you—like the chemical compounds in a lot of medications.
PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE THIS SHIT ARE WHY CHILDHOOD DISEASES THAT CAUSED SERIOUS ILLNESSES AND/OR DEATH THAT WE NEARLY ERADICATED WITH VACCINES ARE NOW COMING BACK AND WHY CONSPIRACY THEORIST TWATS ARE ASKING CITY COUNCIL NOT TO FLUORIDATE THE WATER AND WHY GLOBAL WARMING WILL WRECK OUR FUCKING PLANET.
LERN 2 SCIENCE. Think before you reblog. And microwave your veggies.
This was incredibly amusing to read. Thank you so much for sciencing.
This fucking blog actually said “microwaves agitate the molecules to move faster and faster.” like that’s some sort of terrible thing, when that’s literally how things get hot.
I can’t fucking breathe. This shit is incredible. Absolutely fucking incredible.
Science. Sweet science.
i love when anti-science bullshit gets beat the fuck down
Good job, science side of tumblr!
Science side of Tumblr is what happens when you give science permission to freely express its exasperation with stupid.
the bioluminescent noctiluca scintillans — an algae known otherwise as sea sparkle — of australia’s jervis bay. photos by (click pic) andy hutchinson, joanne paquette and naomi paquette. see also: more bioluminescence posts)